Sunday, April 4, 2010

Decide. Commit. Succeed.


Good Morning and Happy Easter!

As you all know, a few weeks ago I joined the BeachBody Team. During these last few weeks I have met some amazing people with some truly amazing stories. Those stories are what lead me to the organization and now what's driving me to push forward.

Fitness is a huge part of my life. If you want to hear me talk, just ask me how my bike ride went, my run or my P90X workouts are going. All I have to say is, make sure you have time to sit and listen. Being fit is truly my passion and I want to share that with others. Actually, I don't want to just share, I want to scream it at the top of my lungs! I want EVERYONE to know how great it feels to be healthy and active. I want EVERYONE to know how important it is that we care for our bodies, that we teach our children how to live healthy lives. I set an example for my girls every day. If they see me eating poorly, then they most likely will do the same. On the other hand, if they see me being active, chances are they will do that.

Here are some scary statistics and why my heart races when I think about how important this all is. 200 million people in the US are overweight or obese. 16% of these are children or adolescent. That is a 45% increase from 8yrs ago! Does that freak you out? It freaks me out! The part that I hate the most is that 16% are children! If there is not one other thing in life that motivates you to get up and get moving, let it be our children.

While going to school to be a Personal Trainer they tell you about the stages people go through before finally committing to an exercise program, the Transtheoretical Model of Behavior Change. It looks like this...

1. Precontemplation: This is where you are starting to maybe become aware of the benefits of exercise and possibly realizing the risks of not being active.

2. Contemplation: That's the maybe. Maybe I'll start in the next 6 months...maybe...

3. Preparation: This is when you are starting to really think about it. You know you will for sure start next month. Maybe you tell yourself...on April 15th I will begin a workout program.

4. Action: When you are in the action stage, you are taking the steps and doing the work. You are finally moving forward and headed in the right direction.

5. Maintenance: You have now made the commitment, its a habit and you are going to keep going.

As an on-line fitness coach and Personal Trainer, there are things that I can do in order to help you move through those stages. My journey to fitness has been and will continue to be on-going. I'm human, just like you, and share very similar struggles. I will forever be pushing forward to find my personal best.

Happy Easter!

Gwen Gilliam
Independent BeachBody Coach


3 comments: